John’s Crazy 7 Figure Business – John & Mark X Cronin
John wore these crazy socks his whole life. We used to drive around looking for them. John has a very particular sense of style and he’s very organized so he probably knows what he’s wearing on Friday now you know he lays stuff and one of his older brothers would come to me all the time and say you can’t let him wear these to school and what did you say John, “he isn’t the fashion police”
It happened at a particular time in 2016. I had been running a business and that particular business for reasons was going to be shut down overnight. So now I’m looking for my next venture. At the same time John was finishing high school and it is very difficult to find something for a person like John.
The thinking was pretty simple: if John loved these socks this much surely there would be other people that would like them just as much.
What we did was to set up a facebook page and we made videos using my cell phone with John talking about his range of socks.
We didn’t know what to expect but we got so many orders on that first friday that I had to go to every Kmart that I could find to buy socks to fill these orders.
We got through Christmas. We had shipped 452 orders and had $13 000 in revenue and we said, “we got something here”.
People found John inspirational. They found the idea that a young man who happened to have Down Syndrome could start his own business that was new to us because It was just always just John to us.
Getting To The Next Level On Shopify
I mean I’ll give you one example. There’s a podcast called the Unofficial Shopify Podcast run by a guy named um elsewhere Kurt Elster so we would listen to that and whatever he said you should do we just did it. It was like a cookbook and then it worked.
Things Get Crazy
I went out that night to kind of celebrate and wait so we’re going to go to one of John’s favorite restaurants um and I’m on my phone. We have the Shopify app and the way that works is every time you get a sale you get a little ding.
Suddenly the phone starts going crazy right and we’re sitting there and I’m trying to figure out where this is coming. I’m looking at our Shopify admin panel and I’m looking at our google analytics. I can see traffic is going through the roof.
It wasn’t clear what was driving the traffic.
Itt turns out that we did an email interview with a journal called, “The Mighty” and what we didn’t know is that they put out a video. They didn’t shoot anything original, it’s just like a slideshow.
We went from 50 orders a day to over a thousand orders a day it just exploded
The rest is history.
- Customer Happiness:
- 29,246 online reviews, 4.9 overall, 95.7 percent are 5 star reviews
- Net Promoter Score: 94
- Refunds as percentage of revenue: 0.5%
- Ship to 85 countries
- Ship over 325,000 packages
- 241,000 Facebook followers, 65,000 Instagram followers
- Our videos have been seen over 10 million times
- Videos made by others (BBC, the Mighty, etc.) have been viewed over 60 million times
- Giving Back Program
- Raised over $450,000 for our charity partners
- John is a Special Olympic athlete who has now contributed over $1000,000 to the Special Olympics
- We have created 31 jobs, 21 are held by people with differing abilities
- Hosted over 200 school tours
- Hosted over 200 work group sessions for people with differing abilities
- Testified twice before Congress
- Spoken at the United Nations
- Giving Back Program
- Revenues exceed $11.5 million